Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
    New, high quality web comics...

New, high quality web comics...

Wassup, guys?

I've suddenly become involved in a very interesting project. I'm working with a professional animator who wants to get into comics. We're working on something that incorporates String Theory. I write, and he draws.

Anywho, what we're gonna do is release it online. It'll be in three parts. The first full length comic will be free, but the next two will cost a very small fee. And when I say small, I mean TINY.

I'm asking you guys because I'm probably gonna have to be in charge of promoting it, and I was thinking of making banners that fans of the comic can put in their sigs on whatever forums their signed up to.

If this happened, and you liked it, would you be willing to support it?

-S
    Felix: an absorber driven mad with power, and bent on universal destruction. Better watch out...

-Big S

I usually get my web comics for free but I'll see what the first issue is before saying anything for sure.
    John

Lord Mattson, LM, Matts, its all the same.

Chaos! had a go at those before it folded. Not a roaring success, and useless at attracting new readers, though Chaos! only put a very few, already-published comics on the net. You had to download (free) their own special comics-reading program, as I recall.

If you were to use top-selling artists and could separate the artwork from the dialogue (so that subscribers - only - could use the 'background' artwork as wallpaper) - or some other such innovation to give more than a reader would get from a straight $3 or $4 comic - you might get somewhere.

But if the comic's mediocre it'll die an expensive (for you) death because no delivery medium can rescue uncompetitive content.

In other words, the liking's going to be by far the most important factor. The economics of collecting a (you hope) large number of tiny payments don't bode well for your business model either.

Still, if you go into this as a labour of love first and foremost, you'll get a load of satisfaction out of the project and maybe learn some very useful stuff along the way. At lottery-winning odds, it might even turn out to be a huge commercial success. I wouldn't bet your life-savings on it, though.

Of course I'll read the first issue....
    Sworn, bloody!

Xetal

The Old Peculier perpetrator of warm English beer

Quote Originally Posted by Xetal\";p=\"10638
    Chaos! had a go at those before it folded. Not a roaring success, and useless at attracting new readers, though Chaos! only put a very few, already-published comics on the net. You had to download (free) their own special comics-reading program, as I recall.

If you were to use top-selling artists and could separate the artwork from the dialogue (so that subscribers - only - could use the 'background' artwork as wallpaper) - or some other such innovation to give more than a reader would get from a straight $3 or $4 comic - you might get somewhere.

But if the comic's mediocre it'll die an expensive (for you) death because no delivery medium can rescue uncompetitive content.

In other words, the liking's going to be by far the most important factor. The economics of collecting a (you hope) large number of tiny payments don't bode well for your business model either.

Still, if you go into this as a labour of love first and foremost, you'll get a load of satisfaction out of the project and maybe learn some very useful stuff along the way. At lottery-winning odds, it might even turn out to be a huge commercial success. I wouldn't bet your life-savings on it, though.

Of course I'll read the first issue....

lol, why would I ever write something mediocre

Anywho, my over-inflated ego aside, you have some good points there, Xet. However, the wonderful thing about it is that it will require hardly any cash expenditure on our part. Apart from the domain name, perhaps.

That idea of making the artwork available as wallpaper is indeed interesting. I'll discuss it with my co-creator.

Economics? Numerous small payments? Buh? As you have probably assumed, that's something we haven't really looked into yet (the point being we need a polished and finished poduct before we can start selling it). However we plan to set up an intemediary bank account and a model "subscription" form for people to fill in so it's all automated. I don't understand it in truth, but my friend assures me that he's good at doing that kind of thing.

If anyone wants to read the first script, I'd appreciate honest feedback. I haven't posted it on the Creative Forum, because it's got some bad language. Give us a shout if you're interested and i'll email it.

-S

It's well worth reading, guys!