Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 386 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar
    Underworld: Aftermath OOC

Underworld: Aftermath OOC

Hello folks, yes, we've been working on a new RP. My friend Monkey Kitty (who has just joined) and I have been talking about this for awhile and we'd like to see our ideas come to fruition. We're looking for some fellow fans - and some people who think they'd like the setting - to join us in Budapest and beyond. And so, without further ado, the introduction to the RP written by Monkey Kitty herself:

The Basics:

This RP is set in the universe of the Underworld movie series. Vampires and Lycans (a.k.a. werewolves) have been fighting a generations-long covert war, and both races have attempted to hide their existence from normal humans.

The beginning setting is approximately the same period of time as the second movie, but focusing on different events than what the movie portrayed. Basically a sort of "Meanwhile, back in Budapest..." while the main movie characters were off elsewhere.

The plot will start by exploring how the surviving Vampires and Lycans are regrouping following the events of the first movie, and how theyíre adapting to their changing situation. Will the war continue? What factions and powers will arise? What is the future of the two races, both separately and in relation to each other? The directions The Pack and The Coven will take are now in the playersí hands.

Please note: This story would probably carry about the same movie rating as the films did, so expect some adult material.

Q&A about the Storyline:

Do I have to play a character from the movies?

No. Original characters are welcome, and in fact encouraged.

Can I play characters who died in the movies, or use them as living NPCs?

Sorry, no (aside from flashbacks to before they died, of course.) For death to be meaningful, it canít be a minor inconvenience easily overcome. While some of our favourite characters are dead too, so we feel your pain, in a story about war, there will be a high human/Lycan/Vampire cost. To avoid trivializing that cost, as well as to avoid major lapses of continuity, we ask that the dead stay dead.

Does my character have to pick a side?

No, itís not necessarily required, but since the war and its aftermath are the main plot element, it will probably be more interesting for you if your character does have some connection to whatís going on in the story. However, certainly your character may be an innocent bystander caught up in things, rather than an active combatant.

Does my character have to stay in Budapest?

Nope. Just like the real world, your character isnít trapped in the city. Threads can take place in other locations as well. Budapest is where the story starts; where it goes, who knows?

Are other things besides Vampires, Lycans, and humans allowable as characters?

Generally, yes. There are two rules of thumb to follow with that.

1.) It should not contradict the established movie setting. So for example, since the movie never said that there were not things like mages, fairies, ghosts, etc., they could potentially exist in the RP, though they should not become the main focus.

2.) It should not detract from the overall tone of the story. This is a bit subjective, but Underworld does have a certain look and feel. This isnít just a generic urban RP, and whatever you do in the setting should fit the mood of the established story.

Within those guidelines, youíre free to expand beyond what was shown in the films.

What about future movies?

As of this time, Underworld is an ongoing film series, with a prequel forthcoming and another sequel planned. While we ask that you not contradict anything established in the films that have been released to the public, we know you have no way of predicting upcoming ones. Since the sequel will likely take years to be produced and released, our RP will probably end up getting ahead in timeÖ and thatís fine. Elements of future films may be adapted into our storyline if itís reasonable to do so and isnít disruptive to our plot. Our hands are not tied by that, however, and any contradictions caused by movies not yet released will be ignored for the sake of RP.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re: Underworld: Aftermath

Welcome Monkey Kitty!

I have an idea for a character. Let me work out the details and come back and post a bio for her.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Yay! A person!

(We do have other people. I promise. We expect at least two more characters in addition to yours and mine; their players are still working on character profiles.)

I look forward to reading your bio.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Yay! Welcome Tigs!!!

I know I haven't got my bio up - I've been working on it a little pretty much every day. It's 4 pages long so far. >_< Four Pages. I've never written a bio with this long and involved a history for a character I've never played. It's just...I have an idea of who she should be - and it's taking me a lot of explaining to say why she is the way she is. Hang it all. I should be done soon. Especially now that I've sent off my abstract and summary for my thesis! SO CLOSE!!!

Anyhou. I'll get caught up soon.
    ...to the topTop

I maaaaay have something for this. Maybe an adaptation of my Moira character from the SIMPLE SL. Adaptation, slightly matured version...

Or... maybe I can use an adaptation of my Fae character from... oh shoot, what was that SL?! Somebody point me to the clone list, quick!

I can't believe I've forgotten SL details already.
    Feel free to feed the Kulit!

@kulit: Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | @drealkulit: Instagram | Flickr
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmm....

I know very little about Underworld (having never seen the movies), but I do have experience with the general concept of the genre, having played the White Wolf games when they were still new.

Anyone care to elaborate a little more on the dynamics of the supernatural aspects of Underworld? I may be interested in creating a character. No guarantees, though, it all depends on my schedule after the holidays.
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

...to the topTop

I like Sasha. And I think she'll fit in well with the other characters. I can definitely see Millie and her family hanging out with her.

As for your question, Jason... Underworld is in some ways superficially like WoD, so I'm sure you would be able to follow along without too much trouble. The main difference actually is the supernatural stuff, which Underworld has a lot less of. There's a viral explanation for the transmission of vampirism and lycanthropy, and more emphasis on genetic transmission of factors that could create a hybrid.

The Underworld movies have no types of fairies, ghosts, etc. It's about the war between vampires and werewolves (which is way more overt, direct, all-encompassing, and genocidal than the conflicts between those races in WoD.) We've decided that it's worth opening up the possibility of more supernatural stuff in our RP, so you'd have fairly free rein there.

I would strongly recommend watching at least the first movie or reading a summary of it if you want to play a character who's aware of what's going on with the Vampires and Lycans, and their war. I don't mean to tell you what to do, but there would be quite a lot of information you would be lacking for your character if you decided to play a character who ought to be in the loop. While the Vampire/Lycan war certainly isn't going to be the only possible focus for RP, it very much is the background for the setting, so it's kind of impossible to avoid.

Of course, you can always play a character who has no idea what's going on, and can figure stuff out as you go along.
    ...to the topTop

Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Monkey Kitty.

I'll give it some thought. I'm oout of town, and only popping on infrequently to check on things. I'll see what my schedule is like after I get home and back to work, and see if I can manage it.

What is the pace of this SL going to be (as in posting speed)? Based on who's involved so far, it looks like it will be slow, which would benefit me.
    ...to the topTop

As far as I know, posting speed can be somewhat flexible-- and if we end up with more than one thread going, they don't have to be at the same pace.

I would prefer not to be expected to post more than once a day, myself. I might sometimes be able to manage faster than that, but not consistently, so I'm going to say once a day is my maximum speed. I'm fine with going slower, though. I prefer waiting to feeling rushed.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you Monkey Kitty

I enjoyed your bio for Millie as well. I look forward to having our characters meet for the first time. Now, if we can get Quaxo to get her bio up and a few more on board....we can begin the fun.

*waves at Quaxo and Kulit*

Hello ladies! Get with it!
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 386 1231151101 ... LastLast