Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    [IC] Education - Northern Russia

[IC] Education - Northern Russia

Davia

The train plunged forward through the night, carrying the passengers away from Budapest and toward their ultimate destination of Northern Russia. No one paid much attention to the woman sitting far from her fellow travelers, wrapped in a thick fur coat, wearing an old-fashioned veiled hat that hid her forehead and eyes. She seemed distant, lost in thought, and made no attempt to interact with anyone.

Davia knew the veil was a bit excessive, but it drew less unwelcome attention than the bullet wound still visible on her forehead. Even now, it was fading, but it was still clearly an injury that would have permanently incapacitated if not outright killed a human. She didn’t want people staring and wondering about it. In fact, the longer her fellow Vampires believed that she was still in Budapest, the better, so everything possible must be done to discourage gossip. Davia didn’t think her unauthorized departure would be taken well, even though her return to the Coven under the current circumstances would have been even worse.

The train passed fields, then dachas with their little garden patches, then pulled into the station in a small, sleepy town. The conductor called the station name, and Davia alighted, carrying nothing but a valise. Everything in it had been purchased new after the recent destruction of Ordoghaz, the Vampires’ mansion back in Budapest. Even so, Davia had left a great many of her newly-acquired possessions behind. The Vampires had sufficient assets in the bank to replace their things immediately, and many were reluctant to do without luxuries for even a short time. In truth, Davia was as fond of luxuries as the most hedonistic among them, but she hadn’t wanted it to be obvious that she was leaving for a long journey when she slipped unnoticed back to her posh hotel suite to pack.

The town had a single inn, and it was already closed for the night. A light burned in the window, though, so Davia knocked insistently on the door until a sleepy looking landlady appeared. “Hello. I am looking for Angelique. I am expected. Can you let her know I’ve arrived?”

Davia unconsciously spoke Hungarian, not Russian, but the woman still seemed to understand. “Da,” she agreed in her native tongue, before attempting Hungarian of her own. “She waits you. You follow me, please?”

It was all Davia could do not to sigh audibly as she surveyed the little dining room with its peasant-style decorations and rustic furniture. This was not what the Vampire aristocrat was used to. But this was her new life, and she had to accept it, unsatisfactory as it was. She could only hope Angelique proved less of a disappointment.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Re: [IC] Education - Northern Russia

Angelique

Angelique had received Sasha's call about Davia. She agreed to meet with the vampire and see whether or not she was worth the effort to bring back to the castle. She was after all, the right one to meet with the vampire as she herself had been in a similar situation and understood what to expect from Davia.

She was perhaps the oldest of the group, having spent time as part of Amelia's envoy long ago. She was spoiled, pampered and like many of her kind use to the luxuries and benefits of being of the upper crust. Angelique was hand picked to be turned, perhaps because of her lineage as a human heiress to the French throne. Maybe it was because of the fact that she had that royal aristocracy that seemed to flow through her blood. She often pondered the reasons, but she just remembers that the idea of immortality and remaining youthful had appealed to her vanity.

Why then was she living among and fighting with a bunch of animals? Her biggest reason, was because they were the first to actually treat her like a human being. The irony often made her laugh, but the truth was that she had been sold out. To this day she had no idea why Amelia had sent her along with a group of Death Dealers to investigate rumors of a lycan pack living in Northern Russia. She was part of her envoy, part of the council for heaven's sake, why would she need to go investigate the existence of mangy dogs?

Angelique took a long drink out of the crystal glass that held the very essence of the thing that gave them life. She was a fairly statuesque woman, blond, blue eyes and beautiful. She had expensive tastes, and she found the rare blood types to have a special flavor. Her favorite vintage, AB negative. Her thoughts drifted back to the day she first met Sasha, Alexander and the small group of renegades fighting for equality. She had been ambushed by Tyr's pack, she wasn't a fighter and the Death Dealers with her were obviously a little green. Tyr's lycans made short order of them all. They would have bled her dry if it hadn't been for the timely entrance of Sasha and her group. They took her in, attitude and all and gave her a chance to live.

At first, she wasn't very receptive to live amongst animals, especially two hybrids. She was ingrained with the same racist thinking that they rest shared. But in the end, she had developed real friendships, something she'd never had before. And she'd learned to become a hell of a fighter too, but it hadn't changed the fact she had expensive tastes and carried herself like royalty. She just merely lost the vanity part, and her attitude had softened toward the injustice of others. You might say that she actually started to care about others over herself.

Although the inn itself was old looking, the room that Angelique waited in held Louis the XVI decor. One advantage of living forever, you got to witness the good things in each century. She heard the inn keeper's voice greet Davia and Angelique poured a glass for the vampire and set it at the end of the table. She filled her glass and sat back, crossing her legs elegantly and waited for the woman to enter the room. Once she did, she thanked the woman and addressed Davia.

Please, sit down. You must tired after such a long trip. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of pouring you a glass. I'm sure you're famished.

Unlike Evan, Angelique's french accent was quite evident when she spoke. Her slight inflections giving a hint of her aristocratic blood. Everything Angelique did seemed to be graceful and elegant from the way she sat, crossed her legs, spoke, to just about everything.

I am Angelique, Sasha told me to be expecting you. I'm so very pleased that you chose to come. Let's get know one another and see if this is where you want to make your new home, shall we?
    Last edited by Tigers; 05-31-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Davia

Davia took the offered seat and the glass with a grateful but weary sigh. This was more what she’d had in mind. A Vampiric noblewoman, not some human peasant. An elegantly furnished room, instead of the clean but absurdly simple style of the dining room. Davia felt in her element for the first time since the explosion at the mansion.

“I’m Davia,” she replied automatically in response to the other Vampire’s introduction, though who she was seemed painfully obvious. “I live— lived, rather— in Budapest, with Viktor’s coven. But Viktor… he was murdered.”

There was genuine sadness in her voice as she spoke of their leader’s death. She’d looked up to the Elder Vampire. They all had. He had taught them how to live. How to behave appropriately. Even how to think.

“I became a Death Dealer.” She’d been a Death Dealer for less than forty-eight hours, and the only Lycan she’d actually shot had been by accident while aiming for his comrade, but she still wore the title as a badge of pride. “I vowed to avenge our losses, and to help wipe out the Lycan filth once and for all. But then…”

Davia suddenly realized she had to be careful, since she was talking about someone who might be Angelique’s friend. “I was betrayed by one of my own, and your hybrid offered me the chance to live if I agreed to peace.” The “your” was basically an unconscious wording slip— since Davia assumed Vampires were superior to any other race, her choice of phrase suggested a relationship of ownership, not equality. “So I suppose I must allow the beasts to go about their wretched lives… mindlessly violent and heartless as those lives may be… and find my own way of living, too.”

Davia rested her chin on her hands, almost overwhelmed by how unfairly she’d been treated.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Angelique

Angelique sipped at her glass, her eye's locking on Davia's as she spoke about Viktor's death. She put her glass down, a far away look in her eye's at the memories of her old life. The life that she left long ago but it didn't mean that those times had not held some significance for her.

She nearly scoffed at the mention of the Death Dealers. They were all a bunch of bigoted butchers? They had all been conditioned by Viktor's beliefs and views of the lycans. She had been there when Viktor sentenced his own daughter to death. She had been foolish then, blinded by Viktor's railings about the lycans. Entranced by the great supposed leader of the vampires, much like Davia is. But now, Angelique could understand Marcus' feelings about his brother being imprisoned. Even if he brother had only produced savage beasts.

Angelique continued to listen to Davia, she smiled when she mentioned her vow of vengeance against the lycans and actually laughed pleasantly to her reference to Sasha being her hybrid. There could be hope for Davia, if she was willing to be open to the idea of living amongst the lycans. Angelique herself detested the idea at first, but came to admire, respenct and eventually love them. The lycans had been more loyal as family and friends than the vampires had ever been.

Well my dear Davia, it sounds like you've gone through an awful lot lately. You have my deepest sympathies. But for the record, Sasha, the hybrid is very much her own person. I think she'd find your reference of ownership quite amusing.

Angelique refilled Davia's glass.

I'll let you in on a little secret my dear. You see you and I have a little bit in common, we've both lived amongst the elite of the vampires and we've both been betrayed by them. I hate to burst you bubble, you've been through so much lately, but the lycans are not as much beasts as they've been made out to be.

A small touched Angelique's face.

There are a lot of surprising things about lycans. I can see why Sonja took one as a lover.

Angelique's smile faded a bit as a more serious question beckoned to be asked.

And Amelia? What of her? She inquired from Davia.

What has become of her?
    ...to the topTop

Davia

It was all Davia could do not to protest when Angelique claimed that Lycans weren’t mere beasts. The idea that they could be anything more was absurd… but she had no reasonable argument against it, other than Viktor’s word. Davia was more inclined to trust an Elder than some random exiled Vampire. Though of course, Davia herself was now some random exiled Vampire, too.

The mention of Sonja actually caused Davia’s lip to curl into a scornful grimace. Viktor’s ungrateful traitor daughter? The one who willingly allowed her body to be defiled by an animal? You would dignify such a travesty by calling it “love”? Sickening! Sonja deserved the death she got, and we would all have been better served if her mutt boy-toy had gotten the same treatment that day.

Mention of Amelia, however, quickly turned her expression from judgmental to sorrowful again. “Amelia was also murdered. She and all of the Council, when their train arrived in Budapest. They were torn apart.”

Factually, that was all Angelique needed to know, and would be sufficient for her to draw her own conclusions. But Davia couldn’t help crystallizing the point. “It was the work of the Lycans! You claim they are not beasts, but what but mere dogs could so turn on their rightful masters? Such creatures are heartless and cruel! They deserve to be wiped out, and I don’t understand why any but their own brutal lot would defend them!”

Davia had worked herself into a fever pitch. Her knuckles were white where she gripped the table, and she shook visibly with rage. “They are animals! They are monsters! And the Death Dealers will finish them, whether or not I am there.”
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Angelique

Angelique sat back in her chair and watched Davia rant. She was extremely calm, almost in a deadly sense. But she gave no indication that she would do anything more than let Davia carry on. She was actually saddened and amused at the same time, had she acted like such a b**** to Sasha and the others? Regretfully, she was sure the answer was yes. Sasha had on more than one occasion told her so. Sure they laughed about it now, but she wondered just how difficult it had been for them to deal with her. Calmly she took another drink from her glass as Davia went on about the lycans and about Sonja. Oh, the poor girl, so infatuated with Viktor's ideals. When Davia was done, Angelique smiled kindly at her, an action that Sasha had told her was very irritating at times.

Davia dear, take a drink before you have a coronary. Really, one shouldn't allow themselves to get quite so worked up.

She topped off their glasses before continuing.

You know, I once had the same view about the lycans. Thought of them as filthy animals incapable of thought or emotion. I'm happy to say that I was very wrong. Oh, mind you, before you get yourself all riled again, they're not all good. Just like all vampires are not what they pretend to be.

You see Davia, I was part of the council I was there when Sonja was put to death. I was human once, just like you were. Hand picked by Amelia herself. I was royal heir to the French Throne, a princess. But you see for all my loyalties and all my years of believing the exact same things that came out of the elders mouths, I was sent out here. Sent out to discover the truth in a rumor that there was a lycan pack here in Northern Russia.

Oh, there was truth to the rumor alright. The Death Dealers that came with me all slaughtered, and I was nearly drained of all my blood. Those lycans I helped to bring to an end and willingly. But you know, it was lycans that saved my life. Sasha, her brother and the others. These so called abominations, animals, they saved me, a member of the council and someone who hated their very existence. So, you can sit there and get angry, you can storm out the door and try to make it on your own, you can try and convince yourself that I had done something terribly wrong to deserve my fate, or take a chance to make up your own mind without the influence of someone else. Were offering you a place of safety, somewhere you won't be judged because you're a Blood. The choice is yours, it always has been.

As Angelique spoke to Davia, the door behind her opened and a rather tall lycan entered. He had dark hair and green eyes and was dressed in an elegant sweater and slacks. His taste in clothing and style very much matching the vampire he came to stand beside. His eye's sparkled with intelligence, a betrayal of the "dumb" animal persona that many are given. His was French, like Angelique and he spoke in a very charming manner.

I do hope you will consider staying with us Davia. I am Jacques by the way. I'm the local physician at the castle.
    ...to the topTop

Davia

Davia wasn’t quite sure what to make of Angelique’s story. She could only assume it was an invented tale, not the truth. After all, surely it couldn’t be that Lycans were capable of kindness or friendship. Lycans by nature knew nothing other than savagery, and the drive to kill and maim. Viktor had said Lycans were mere mindless beasts. Viktor would not have lied.

Her pondering was interrupted by the abrupt arrival of the Lycan. Davia had not been prepared to deal with such an event. She’d only ever seen Lycans from some distance away, and with a gun loaded with silver in between them. Never had she been in such close quarters with one, and she hadn’t expected one of the creatures to be brought in so suddenly.

Davia hissed and leapt back abruptly, knocking over her chair and spilling the goblet of blood. She continued her backward motion until she was pressed against the wall, and she hissed again at the Lycan.

Recovering herself, Davia regarded Angelique with artificial calm. “You may dress the creature up and teach it to speak like a man, but it remains an animal. They are not capable of thought or rationality. You may have trained this one not to harm you, but that is all. It is not a person. It is a thing.”

Too late, it occurred to Davia that Angelique and Jacques might not be too pleased with her for saying that, and that her own position was quite vulnerable. But she would not apologize, even to save her life. A Vampire need not apologize for speaking the truth to a mere Lycan.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Angelique

Angelique watched the whole spectacle with amusement. The poor thing she really was a victim in all this and when realization finally dawns on her, she would need friends. Angelique had Sasha and Katherine and she would make sure she was there for Davia. She let Jacques fight his own battles, she would say her peace soon.

Jacques made no reaction toward Davia, he felt sorry for her. They had all been misled by someone somewhere within their species. Her comments did not even phase him as he waited for Davia to calm herself.

I am truly sorry you feel that way Davia. But the simple truth is, I am very capable of making my own decisions. I do not need Angelique or anyone else to teach me to do anything. I speak over 20 different languages. I have three different degrees ranging from my PhD in medicine, one in Bio-engineering, and another in Physics. I have been tempted to seek a degree in Psychology as well, but matters at the castle have prevented me from making such a selfish act at this time. Let me give you an example.

Jacques began to speak to her in several different languages. Some she would recognize a few, French for sure, Hungarian and Russian. But he also spoke to her in German, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic and several others. He took a few minutes to explain certain theories in Physics, and then into medicine and bio-engineering. He wasn't trying to impress her, he was trying to show her that what she had been taught was flawed. Angelique waited for Jacques to finish and then spoke. While she was doing so, she took a fresh crystal goblet and began to fill it, with her own blood.

I imagine you're much to young to have met Marcus yet. If my memory serves me right, he was to be the next to lead the coven while Amelia slept. I'm not sure why Viktor was awake, but it doesn't really matter now. But, I digress. The point is Davia, Marcus would tell you that the best path to the truth is through the blood. I'm giving you an advantage that I never had. I'm going to give you the truth, and after you've seen it if you're ready we can take you to the castle and help you adjust to a new life.

Angelique handed the glass over to Davia.

Again my dear, the choice is yours. We would really love to have you come and stay with us, but we won't make you.
    ...to the topTop

Davia

As the Lycan spoke, Davia’s brain clouded with confusion and disbelief. This has to be some kind of trick. They have taught him what to say. He just memorized all this, to impress doubters. She’ll probably give him a biscuit if he repeats it all correctly. Her head was spinning, revelations of truth dangerously close to breaking the surface, but not quite ready to be admitted. Perhaps he’s not really a Lycan at all. He smells like one, but surely that could be faked. Maybe this “clever beast” routine is all an act, and he’s something else entirely.

Davia reached for the goblet of Angelique’s blood automatically, without really thinking about the implications. She was too distracted, still, by Jacques’s demonstration of alleged intelligence. He could be some kind of fluke. A Lycan different from all the others, born superior to the rest of his species. A freak of nature. Yes, that’s what he is… this Lycan is a fluke, but all the others are the beasts we believed them to be. Viktor wouldn’t lie to us, he couldn’t…

As Davia sipped the blood, Angelique’s memories spilled over her. Angelique in bed with a man, another Vampire… was that Marcus? Apparently Angelique had been quite the high achiever, aiming for a conquest like that— but no, she loved him, that much was obvious. Not just political machinations, at least on the female Vampire’s part. Other scenes, courtly scenes, Amelia somewhere in the background like a shadow, watching, waiting, always watching. Angelique sent to die, unprepared, not a fighter… just like Davia. Then there was the Lycan pack, Tyr’s pack…

Angelique had worked against them. So she wasn’t just some crazed Lycan-lover, determined to prove against all evidence that every beast was capable of love and goodness. She was selective. She chose which Lycans she stood beside, and which she fought against.

No, this was all too crazy!

Davia leaned back heavily against the wall, overwhelmed. It couldn’t be true. If it was, everything she had learned was wrong. If it was, then she had shot someone— an actual person, not just a mangy animal who wouldn’t even understand what had happened to it. If it was, most of her life had been a lie, and her revered leader was the one who had told it.

She couldn’t accept it. It was too much.

To buy time to think, Davia filled the silence, gesturing vaguely toward Jacques. “So there are others… others like him?” The pronoun she used to refer to the Lycan had subtly shifted from “it” to “him” without her really being aware of it.
    ...to the topTop

Blog Entries

Angelique

Angelique watched as Davia went into the denial stage, that was always a fun stage to go through. She didn't realize how devilishly entertaining it could be in others though. Don't get her wrong, she was very sympathetic to Davia's plight, but having gone through it herself she knew that the vampire would be trying to make ever excuse under the sun to keep from admitting she was wrong or had been lied to.

The poor girl was so distraught she hadn't realized that she had so willingly taken a drink of Angelique's blood without first questioning it. It was for the better, had she not been so disoriented by Jacques, she may never have discovered the truth. She'd still be sitting there arguing and finding ways to make a vampires blood pressure go through the roof.

It's not like Angelique willingly wanted to air her dirty laundry so to speak, but if Davia was to discover the truth, it was better she saw it through the taste of her blood. Ladies, proper ones didn't usually kiss and tell. Marcus had been so long ago and in a way she'd never gotten over him entirely. Then there was her second love, killed at the hands of her best friend Katherine because of the evil doings of Tyr.

She wondered how Davia would respond to the fact that her new love was lycan. It was more than the poor girl could handle she was sure, but it wasn't like Angelique had been given the same option as Davia. Her discovery had been long, painful and at times very humiliating if not humbling.

So far so good, Davia was still with them. She hadn't freaked out and burst out the door and into the daylight to end her existence, or tried to attack them. If she did anything, it was far better the later. They could deal with the wounds while it gave her time to let her mind cope with the truth. When the poor girl finally spoke, Angelique gave her a warm smile.

Yes my dear Davia, there are many others like Jacques. You will meet them all in time, when you are ready. No need to have you try and experience everything in one night. We will take it slow and easy, after all, as you well know I've been where you are now.

Angelique's smile became just a little more welcoming. Davia had just made her first step toward starting a new and better life.
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast