Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Re: Shiverpeaks

Anakita Snakecharm

Stefan smiled, and shrugged, but still looked uncomfortable. "Thank you, but you need not speak so highly of it. Djalila is our responsibility, by our choice."

Anakita wasn't quite sure what to say. She appreciated the compliment, and knew that Stefan did too; clearly it was intended in a spirit of friendship. But the fact was, Djalila was their child-- as was Kimi, though neither was exactly a standard parent/child relationship-- and they deserved no special praise for caring for her. To be praised almost seemed to imply that Djalila didn't deserve their love, and while they'd had their problems, that certainly wasn't true. Obviously that wasn't Jacobi's intention, though, and the Ranger knew she shouldn't react as though it was.

"Thank you. We're glad for your friendship, too," was all she said in response.

Casting about for other conversational topics, Anakita scanned the horizon... and an instant later, all thought of making smalltalk vanished.

"Stone Summit," she announced quietly. "Just past that outcrop of rock."

What she didn't add, but should be clear to all the seasoned fighters, was that from the hostile Dwarves' position on higher terrain overlooking, the rescue party had almost certainly already been spotted. Anakita notched an arrow, ready for action.
    "Sleep to dream, and we dream to live..." -Great Big Sea
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jacobi did not realize that he had made it appear that Djalila did not deserve their love. That was not what he thought at all. He thought it was terrible what her mother had done to her and the way she treated Djalila and was glad that they were treating her as she should be. He smiled and said, "You're welcome." to both Stefan and Anakita when they thanked him. He was glad to hear Anakita say that they were glad for his friendship. He nodded when Stefan said she was their responsibility by choice. He still thought it was great of them to treat Djalila so well. Not many would be so lucky to have someone like Stefan and Anakita give them the homes that they deserve.

When Anakita mentioned Stone Summit, that ended the conversation and he notched an arrow and was prepared for the worst. He saw it now as well and was not looking forward to the insane dwarfs.
    ...to the topTop

Paladin Quaxo9 is offline Quaxo9's Avatar

Constance Terpein

The rest of the time spent in camp was nearly torturous for Constance. She spent her time well enough between guard duty, practice and sleep, but every time she looked over the parapets she saw nothing but adventure. It was going to feel so good to be out from under her own heel – even for a short while. The air was ripe with opportunity that morning. There was no denying it – she was excited. Funny. Constance had been on countless missions, fought a seemingly endless number of battles, been afield for most of her life – and suddenly it was all shiny and new again. Like she had been sleeping for the last few years and was just now opening her eyes. The crunch of the snow beneath her feet, the stiff mountain air – was absolutely the same as every average day in Constance’s life – but today was different. The air was charged with electricity and she grinned at the grey sky.

Jacobi’s compliment was met with a grin and a shake of the mentioned armament before her attentions returned to the trail ahead and the cliffs around them. Not that she was necessarily seeing anything useful – especially when interesting conversations abounded. It was the innkeeper’s curse to know all gossip and store it for future reference. She didn’t let on that she was listening in, but moved back in the line in an attempt to give some privacy to those up ahead. Constance soon found herself walking beside her fellow warrior in the group. Keeping pace with his longer stride took a slight quickening of her own, but somehow she still managed to appear as though she was walking in step with him.

“Hobs,” she began, using an affectionate nickname for the hulking man beside her, “how can it be that you are playing babysitter to someone like Sonja? I hope you’re getting paid well.” A joke, knowing full well that his decision to come after Sonja had only occurred because she left first. She chuckled to herself, none too quietly, before Anakita’s hushed warning instantly changed her mood - and heartbeat. Following Anakita’s line of reference, Constance impressed the scene into her mind before suddenly turning and running back the way they came. To someone watching, it might appear that she was turning tail and leaving her comrades to the battle – that is, until she smoothly turned up a slope just off the trail that she thought would lead to the pocket of Dwarves overhead.

She broke into a sprint only to find her way blocked by a massive ice golem. Constance had no choice but to put up her shield and cast blows at the beast lest it pound her into the ground. It was bad enough that she could feel the effects of the frost already. Evidently, it had seen her coming. As dangerous as the golem was, Constance was more concerned about the puppeteer who had not yet made an appearance. She was knocked to the ground by an excessively hard blow – and then he made his appearance. A Stone Summit Sage, just up ahead on the trail, casting hexes at her that made her see things that weren’t there.

Struggling to her feet, Constance felt a burst of adrenaline and used it to execute a damaging blow of her own. The golem staggered back and she pressed the advantage while she had it. As much as it would be better tactically to take out the Sage, the golem blocked her path and would very likely take her out before the she could kill its master. Growling under her breath, she cast an endurance spell and continued hacking away at the icy beast.
    Winner of the dubious Vaarsuvius Award for Verbousness!

I support altruism.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mara Dayne

Mara had quietly been bringing up the rear when the words Stone Summit snapped her to full attention. Unlike the other dwarves, the Stone Summit were no friends of men. It was not their size or power alone they possessed, but that which they maintained in numbers. It was easy to become overwhelmed by the Stone Summit and those they didn't kill on the battlefield suffered much worse fates. The thought made Mara shiver at the memories of those less fortunate that she had stumbled upon in her travels.

It was an automatic reflex to cast Protection Spells on everyone the moment danger was present, but being in a party was always unpredictable unless you knew those you traveled with. This was Mara's first encounter with Constance and she had no idea what the Warrior would do. She had heard of her through conversations from various members of the guild, but she had never been in battle. Jacobi was also another unknown, but Mara would do her best to keep those in her party healed from conditions and safe from taking severe damage.

When Constance rushed past her, she prayed to Dwayna that her protection would remain in range so she could hold up the enchantments around the warrior. In the meantime, she looked for dead corpses nearby to expose for extra help. A few dead carcasses of animals laid nearby and she called upon Grenth for his aid as she produced several minions and a Golem. She commanded them to follow Constance as she remained with those below.

A battle cry broke the stillness of the air and a wave of Stone Summit came pouring down upon them. Mara griped her staff and prayed to both Dwayna and Grenth for strength and aid as she bolstered her energy to maintain enchantments and spells of protection and healing on her party. Arrows began to whiz through the air past the monk's head as the clang of metal echoed in the crisp cold air. Several Stone Summit surpassed the main group as they headed for the young monk. Remove the healer and it would usually cripple the rest, it was a common strategy and sometimes very successful.

Mara pointed her staff at those closing in upon her and cast hexes and curses upon them, to slow them down and steal their health. She hated this part, she may have to run to keep them from attacking her until one of the others were free to aid her or a Stone Summit fell and she could call more minions to her side.
    Peace is a lie
    There is only passion
    Through passion I gain strength
    Through strength I gain power
    Through power I gain victory
    Through victory my chains are broken
    The Force shall set me free
    ...to the topTop

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jacobi began firing his arrows at the advancing dwarfs. He made no sounds other then twing of his bow as it launched his arrows. He was firing with precision and as fast as he could as they advanced on him. He tried to take the ones down that wereattacking Mara and suddenly there was another another Jacobi standing there firing. The difference was it was an illusion who's arrows only frightened those the fake arrows went after.

Then he cast a real spell to do damage on the advancing dwarfs.
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

As the Warriors charged in, spells and arrows flew. Azh bit and clawed at various targets, striking and darting way. Anakita remained in the backline, keeping up a steady barrage of arrows to discourage the enemy melee fighters from approaching the casters, herding them them toward engaging the group's own melee members instead.

It was not, of course, going to hold them off forever. Before long, a hammer-wielding Crusher was in range of Anakita, swinging his weapon in devastating sweeps. Human nature indicated that she should pull far away from him, but her higher brain remained in control even in battle, and she saw what he was trying to do. He was trying to back her beyond the line of casters, out of the range of the Monks' healing and protective enchantments, separating her from her group and turning it into a one-on-one battle.

That was something she needed to avoid, so she did not allow herself to be shoved. She aimed her arrows at the Crusher, occasionally managing to interrupt his more damaging sweeps. The flatbow was a poor short-range weapon, putting her at a disadvantage, but he would continue to press her either way, so she stood her ground, preferring to fight on her own terms to the extent possible. Blows rained against her sides, but between the Monks' healing and her protective armour, the amounts of pain and damage were tolerable. After a few seconds of the Ranger holding the Dwarf off, Stefan swooped in to attack the Crusher from behind, allowing Anakita to move sideways into a more favourable position.

In a better spot to use her bow, she finished off the Crusher that Stefan was tanking, laid down a few more barrages, then concentrated on an enemy Elementalist, interrupting him a few times before managing to finish him off. Her bow arm dropped and she began casting instead, throwing a tiny concentrated Snowstorm that would only affect their foes, causing their health to deteriorate over the course of a few frosty seconds. Then it was back to barraging, a steady combat rhythm she had developed over the course of many battles. It was a bit more of a challenge than usual because of her damaged bow, but she managed to work around that as well as could be expected.

By this point, nearly all of the opposing force was dead. Anakita allowed herself the luxury of glancing around the battlefield as the Warriors finished off the stragglers.

In so doing, she noticed something... off... about the figure Stefan was advancing toward. In a split second, she was able to put her finger on it. This was not a Dwarf, but rather a human woman, who appeared stooped because she was heavily bound in chains, and silent because of a dirty rag stuffed in her mouth as a gag. A prisoner, not a combatant.

"Stefan, don't!" Anakita cried.

Hearing his wife's voice was enough to break the Warrior out of the mental zone of combat, and he held off his strike, trusting that Anakita had a good reason. Then he saw it too, and she heard him draw in his breath. He turned to face down an actual enemy, as Anakita made her way to the prisoner's side.

The woman was Krytan, with bronzed skin and, like many of her countrywomen, hair of such a deep red it almost seemed maroon. Anakita recognized the forest garb she wore. Shining Blade. An ally. Good thing none of them had killed her by mistake. The woman was injured, but not by them. It looked like she'd put up a hell of a fight before the Stone Summit managed to subdue her. Her eyes were swollen nearly shut, her lips were bruised, and dried blood clung to various injuries. "Hello, Anakita Snakecharm," she said softly once Anakita had removed the gag. The Ranger must have looked startled to be recognized, so the Krytan woman added, "You don't remember me, do you?"

It took a minute, underneath all the bruising and swelling, and accumulated travel grime, for Anakita to realize that she did, though their paths hadn't crossed in a long time. "Ryder? What are you doing out here?"

It seemed to please Ryder that she hadn't been forgotten. "I was doing a recon for the Shining Blade, with two other scouts. The White Mantle's Shiverpeaks contingent usually stays further south, but we had intel that there was a patrol up here. We didn't find them-- the Stone Summit found us instead. My companions were killed, and they took me hostage. You're not going to believe this, but... the Stone Summit group was going to a rendezvous with the White Mantle."

"Really?" Anakita was surprised. The Stone Summit Dwarves hated all humans, and the White Mantle tended to be unconcerned with anything that didn't affect either their shaky power base in Kryta or their now-disrupted worship of their Unseen Ones. The enemy of their enemies had not, in this case, proven to be their friend. "Any idea why?"

"No one said, at least not in front of me. It sounded like they were working together on something, as crazy as that sounds, but they didn't let out a peep as to what. The Stone Summit were going to turn me over. The Mantle have been in the habit of public executions lately."

Anakita was by now working on removing the chains from Ryder's wrists and ankles with a key she'd swiped from an enemy corpse. "Well, that won't happen. We have to make a detour into Sorrow's Furnace. There are some Ascalonian refugees who need our help. You can come along, then we'll get you back to the Shining Blade on the way back."

"Thanks, Anakita. Um... you don't hate me, do you?"

"No. Why would I?" Anakita actually didn't know Ryder very well, but all she had seen was positive enough.

"I've had some... trouble... with some other members of the Shining Blade. Some of them call me a traitor. Because of what happened in the Mines. They say I gave information to the White Mantle. I wasn't sure if you..."

"You're a 'traitor' because a mind reader literally ripped information out of your brain? I'd love to see them do better. It would have happened to anyone. It would have happened to me, too, if I had been in your place. You were just the one who happened to be there. They have no right to blame you." Anakita felt a fierce burst of anger toward those who had been so unfair to someone who had suffered more than enough already. And she was willing to bet money on who the ringleader had been.

"Thank you. Thanks very much," Ryder said with a deferential duck of her head.

The Ranger came close to blushing. "No need. Um... we'll get our Monk to fix up your wounds. Then when we're all ready, we'll get going. If anyone else calls you a traitor, I'll punch them."

Ryder chuckled. "Thanks. It means a lot."
    ...to the topTop

dhannon
    Gypsy

Hobarrt Mckinnley

Going back to Sorrow’s Furnace was exciting to Hobarrt. If there was a place full of surprise and danger that was where he most liked to be. The events of the past few days had been more annoying than anything to him as he was geared for a fight before he had ever reached the rest of the group and certainly had found some along the way.

The stone summit were not to be underestimated either for their cruelty or for the danger they posed to any outlander. What they lacked in size they surely made up for by their numbers but Hobarrt was more than ready to take on anything that they had to promise. As he watched the rest of the group ready for action, his thoughts fell upon Anakita. He could still remember the thrill she had in her voice when he had given her her first destroyer weapon. He secretly giggled to himself with her as he watched her switch from her usually serious and nearly stoic demeanor to a more light hearted and almost “school girl” like one.

Hobarrt had come to know Anakita fairly well during there few times in battle together. Though not as familiar with her as she and some of the other guild members had become, he knew her to be fair and trustworthy. As with all of his friends, as few as they were, he would do anything he ever could for her.

Reaching into his favourite charr bag, he felt around for the familiar heat that emanated from all destroyer weapons. Pulling out a newly acquired bow from his last visit to Slaver’s Exile, he started to walk towards Anakita with a slight grin on his face.

“Hey Anakita, catch.” he said with excitement in his voice as he tossed the bow in her direction.

“You might need this here in a minute or two.”

“After we kick their asses you can just hold onto it for a while, I’m no good with arrows and I kind of like the feel of steel better myself anyway.”
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita caught the bow in a swift motion, her Ranger reflexes kicking in instinctively. As she examined it, a broad grin crossed her face.

She had never held a weapon of this quality before-- far better than the bow that had been damaged in the avalanche. It was perfectly balanced, exquisitely shaped, and seemed to shine with an inner fire, like molten lava on rock. The bow bore the inscription 'Strength and Honour,' and the Sundering bowstring added to its power to pierce armour. It was a beautiful piece of craftmanship. And since she had never seen Hobarrt use a bow, combined with the pleased look on his face, she understood that the 'loan' of it was really a gift.

Though Anakita was not often a person of many words on her own behalf, her beaming smile would convey the depth of her appreciation for his generosity. "Thank you very much," she replied simply. "I assure you, I will put it to good use."

After a few practice shots, her smile was even wider as the bow sang in her well-trained hands. Truly an excellent gift indeed.
    ...to the topTop

Count / Countess Tigers is offline Tigers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mara Dayne

Mara's eye's emanated between a soft blue to green color as she used both her given talents from Dwayna and Grenth. She could not dedicate the energy to maintain minions but she could at least continue to produce them to aid in their battle with the dwarves. She was grateful to the two rangers for helping to protect her, being beaten upon while you're trying to keep your party healed and protected could prove challenging if not deadly. So as Anakita and Jacobi stepped into harm's way to keep her protected, she placed protection enchantments around them and continued to heal them as the dwarves came down upon them.

Paying close attention to your party members was an important role for a monk and Mara took her duties serious. It was Anakita's voice that also drew her attention and seeing the injured woman drew her close to them. A quick glance around the field she could take a moment to concentrate on the woman alone, as the rest of her party members seemed to have everything under control. Coming up beside the woman, Mara gently touched the side of the woman's face and prayed to Dwayna as she began to mend her wounds. A blue aura surrounded them as the monk's spells and enchantments were cast on the wounded woman.

"Dwayna and Melandru bless you." Mara said to the woman as she finished.
    ...to the topTop

Anakita Snakecharm

Anakita gave Mara a smile. So typical of the young Monk-- always there, not only doing her duty but happy to serve. It spoke well of her.

The Shining Blade scout smiled, too. She'd been injured for several days without relief, and it felt great to finally receive healing. "I'm happy to see you again, Mara. Remember me? Ryder? Thanks for the healing. It's good to be among friends again."

Anakita was glad that the young woman considered them that. Though presumably they were all against the White Mantle, and many in this party had worked for the Shining Blade, they would need to trust each other on a more personal level to survive Sorrow's Furnace together. And survive they would-- Anakita was determined not to lose anyone.

The Ranger briefly introduced Ryder to the rest of the party, mentioning her name and her Shining Blade affiliation. She assumed there was no question about whether it was alright to bring her along; leaving one person alone out here was pretty much a death sentence, which the young woman had done nothing to deserve. Further discussion, if necessary, could continue as they walked. The better time they made, the more likely they would reach their goal relatively intact, and be in time to rescue the refugees.
    ...to the topTop

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast