Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
    Founder Jason Sanborn is offline Jason Sanborn's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    FCC hands Hollywood the keys to your PC, home theater and future

FCC hands Hollywood the keys to your PC, home theater and future

The FCC has given Hollywood permission to activate the "Selective Output Control" technologies in your set-top box. These are hidden flags that allow the MPAA to deactivate parts of your home theater depending on what you're watching. Read more...
    Hollywood is getting to have too much power, IMO. The floodgates against the war on piracy has opened again, and the casualties are the legal users. Pirates are only going to be minorly inconvenienced until they find their way around it. It won't stop or even slow down the rate of piracy, except make it more difficult for us to watch the shows we want, when we want.

The DRM stuff is already making it difficult to watch legitimately purchased movies on computers. There are many DVD's that I legally purchased that won't play on Windows 7 because the way it enforces DRM. This new control the FCC is going to allow is just going to add to the difficulties we already have.

What do you think of these changes? Do you agree, disagree, or could you care less?
    QC1: From this day forth you shall be called "Sprinkle Berryweather".

Kevin Flynn: The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships, motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then, one day... ...I got in!

Founder Lairston is offline Lairston's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think its ridiculous that Hollywood gets this kind of control. There is no way this should be allowed

Blog Entries
    More insanity that we can "thank" Obama for.

Blog Entries
    Yep. Obama has been great especially with his decision to pass a law that everyone must have health insurance. I just love others spending my money.

Blog Entries
    The health reform is another topic completely. We need the reform, but I don't think his idea was the right one.

if everyone "must" have health insurance, does that he mean that he'll pay for the insurance for me? since now that school's out, I'm pretty sure I'm now without insurance for the summer...

as to the original topic, I don't really agree with it. I don't mind having some added protection against piracy, but they shouldn't be able to limit what people watch, especially if they have legitimately bought the movie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellesar View Post
    if everyone "must" have health insurance, does that he mean that he'll pay for the insurance for me? since now that school's out, I'm pretty sure I'm now without insurance for the summer...
    You won't make enough money unless you go crazy in the summer and work three plus jobs, but if you did make enough, you would be fined some amount for not having any.

that doesn't seem fair...

Blog Entries
    I don't think so either.