Quarrels and Quills - The Play by Post Role-Playing Community - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established characters in the DC RP Forums

Established characters in the DC RP Forums

Well, this subjects has been currently discussed at the New Gods OOC thread, but since it is of general importance, I'm moving it over here so everyone can have their say. *The current discussion starts here, so, feel free to join.

Mattson raised some interesting arguments, so, please check it out.

M

PS: *Please continue the discussion in here, so it gets easier to follow.
    ...to the topTop

Personally I have fun annoying people as characters I made up snd established ones. (Sorry if I annoyed any one.) Still their are some times when it's fun to be a character that's al; ready there. I can't really see a metropolis RP without supes. But, some times half the fun is in creating the original character. But, their are those [points ware you want to see in an RP how you could give voice to a character. *And try to get into the head of a character that's already there. *And yes a lot of people will quickly grab the A-listers Bat Man Super Man. But, it's fun some times to see what you can do with a b-lister or c -lister. To see what you could do with that character. OK I've picked a good A -lister in one rp. But, I'd like to had fun with b-listers too. If their was an Avengers RPG I'd defiantly want to see what I could do with Fire Bird or Michael Korvac. Or Genevieve in a Cross Gen rpg. I like the idea of both being open. Thanx for your time.
    I'm am Dislexic this is as good as the spelling gets.

Isaiah 5:20-24

Check out cool wrestling web sight below.
    http://www.freewebs.com/frankhardy12000/

...to the topTop

My main point is that an established character is on loan. Could I have had Berry contact Oracle and just ran it without Kulit? yeah. Would it have been as fun? No. It works better for there to be interaction. With a message board RP, characters bounce off each other. The tale grows and changes. Should we worry about being cliquey? A little. But I think as long as we are all friends here, we won't have to. If everyone is willing to share established characters or help out when an established character is needed for a tale, we are all good.

Remember, these universes we use as settings have iconic established characters around. We can weave new characters with ties to them in being mentioned but how much would you like to have a small chat with one of them. I think I'd enjoy seeing Golden Guardian meeting a Green Lantern (Kyle, Hal, Jon, even Guy). It'd be fun to see with someone paying homage to a modern myth.

For Apt X, I've got a small list of established characters both heroes, supporting cast icons, and villians I'd love to see weaved in. Especially villians. I see it a lot as why make a new villian when this character would work just fine and makes sense to be in that role.
    John

Lord Mattson, LM, Matts, its all the same.
    ...to the topTop

The Great Orange One Qwaring's clone#1 is online now Qwaring's clone#1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattson
    I think I'd enjoy seeing Golden Guardian meeting a Green Lantern (Kyle, Hal, Jon, even Guy).
    I plan on having Lee interact with quite a few characters from the comics, but it'll just be in a small side story that I'll probably handle myself. It would be like that time I RPed Charon vs the clone, it would have been great to have that interaction between myself and another RPer but many of the punchlines I had in mind wouldn't have been used since I can't tell others how to RP their characters. If I had given the role to someone then the SL wouldn't have been the same, it may have been better but there's no way of knowing that for sure.
    Plus, for me there's an issue of time. I plan on having Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, Martian Manhunter, Flash, GL (whichever one I decide to use at the time), Robin, Mr. Mxyptlk, Joker, Doomsday, Ganthet, possibly some random characters from Apokalypse (sp?), and maybe a few others, depending on whatever I come up with as I'm writing, for in my idea. If I wanted to I could find RPers to fill all of those roles and we could play out the little story that I have in mind, but that would expand it from a small little thing into a months long RP. And what I have in mind for most of these roles they are just big enough to deliver a punchline, which wouldn't happen with another RPer because I can't tell others how to play their character (not because of any rule but because I wouldn't like doing that).

Back on topic, I think the comic characters should be open to the whole community, but if someone wants to claim them for an SL or a whole thread then they can feel free to, but not for the whole forum. Someone can have free reign RPing Superman in a Metropolis RP, but in other threads the character is available for use. Just as long as the poster knows that they can't get exclusive rights to the character for the whole forum then there should be no problem.
    ...to the topTop

Yes, I think the whole deal moves around the exclusivity of established characters. *In the CG forum, when a big character is used, the poster asks permission to perform this or that move. *The DC forum is evidently smaller, so they're up for grabs.

I think, as long as the posters know the established characters aren't their excusivity, that's fine. *I think most people agrees with this one.

Now, another issue. *What if someone wants to create an account for an already established character, but that one is already taken?

Let the ideas flow.

M
    ...to the topTop

Quote Originally Posted by M
    Now, another issue. *What if someone wants to create an account for an already established character, but that one is already taken?
    I guess that person would just have to be extra creative in thinking of a username. * *

As long as no two established characters will play in one story, I don't see any problem. Like, let's say, we have Nightwing on the *Gotham RP and someone wants to RP let's say in a new RP thread (i.e. Bludhaven - oooohh! idea! ), the person could make a new account for Nightwing - Defender of Bludhaven -- okay, that's long, but something like that. *
    Feel free to feed the Kulit!

@kulit: Twitter | Tumblr | Pinterest | @drealkulit: Instagram | Flickr
    ...to the topTop

The Great Orange One Qwaring's clone#1 is online now Qwaring's clone#1's Avatar
    Earth 2 Nightwing?
    ...to the topTop

I think this works, too. *There's no exclusivity over established characters, but only one person can play one of these per thread.

Very simple but it does work indeed .

I'm gonna tell Bard and Zeb that they can play Barda and Mad Harriet, respectively, as they wanted .

M
    ...to the topTop

Yes, this makes sense. I wouldn't want to think I was the only one who could play Canary. If someone else wanted to play her in another SL, that would be up to them. I always considered it a thread-by-thread kind of basis. Of course, if someone is good at a role, i.e. kulit as Oracle, it's nice to be able to ask for cameo appearances. Like Mattson said, we're all friends here, so there shouldn't be any problems.

I guess I didn't have anything new to add.
    One for sorrow, two for joy,
    Three for a girl, four for a boy,
    Five for silver, six for gold,
    Seven for a story that's never been told.
    ...to the topTop

Pounce, tackles, and huggles

YOUR BACK!! WHEEE!

((oh how funny to post this when posting as Bellona! * ))
    I was once known as the Roman Goddess of War, but I am much more than that!
    Conquering gods and toppling empires, and that's just what I do for fun!
    Mother of Khyri
    ...to the topTop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast